All of our vehicles
are fully covered by the RAC Breakdown Service, contactable by phoning 0800 246 001
. See the vehicles’ Log Book for details of this.
You must also phone the Students Union reception (01483 689223) or the Students’ Union Emergency phone number: 07623 506302.
The RAC will provide:
- Roadside Rescue - They will attempt repair, and if they cannot, recover the vehicle to the nearest Lex approved garage.
- Recovery Service - If the vehicle cannot be repaired at the roadside, or local garage, they will take the vehicle anywhere on the UK mainland. We require the vehicle to be recovered to our local garage, Grays. The RAC will provide a replacement vehicle within two hours, to carry the same number of passengers. The stranded group should specify the number of passengers and number of Union drivers present. If this service cannot be fulfilled, all passengers will be returned to the Union.
- At Home - Road rescue cover is included as above
- Under no circumstances should you arrange to have the vehicle towed or the passengers transported to anywhere else (ie. your destination). If you have the vehicle recovered to an alternative location (e.g. your destination) no expenses will be coved, you may be fined and you will be charged for any further costs incurred
- Although all the necessary equipment is provided, changing a tyre on a minibus is a lot harder than on a car so you may want to call the breakdown service if you need to do this
- Yellow jackets and warning triangle are provided for your safety in the case of a breakdown
If you are driving a hire company's vehicle, refer to their breakdown cover for assistance.