Appealing a Fine from

a Warden or Authorised Person

Do I need to make an academic appeal?

No. Appeals against fines or penalties from an authorise person are dealt with under the Disciplinary Regulations and have a specific form you will need to complete.

If you feel the fine is too harsh or that you are not guilty of what you have been fined for then you can make an appeal.

Important – appeals against fines and other decisions at this level need to be submitted to OSCAR within 10 working days of you getting the letter about the fine or other decision​


What do I need to do first?

Read the Disciplinary Regulations. These can be found on the web-site of the Office of Student Complaints, Appeals and Regulations (OSCAR) -


What next?

Decide what grounds your appeal will be on. There are three which are specified in the Disciplinary Regulations.

Write your statement – make sure you are clear about what you are appealing, on what grounds and the outcome you are seeking.

Gather your evidence. The burden of proof is on you as the student appealing, so it is vital that you have evidence to support your case.

Submit the form to OSCAR. This can be found on the OSCAR webpages.​

I need further advice:​

You can make an appointment with one of our Academic Advice team. Appointments are for a maximum of 30 minutes, Monday - Friday 10-4pm.

Please email with the following information:

Name​, Course, Year of study, Details of your case (including penalty you have been given and grounds for appeal), What you need advice on, Deadline for your appeal​

Visit Us

Union House
University of Surrey
Stag Hill, Guildford

Contact Us
01483 689 223

The University of Surrey Students’ Union is a private limited company, registered in England & Wales with registered number 07470232, registered at Union House, Guildford, GU2 7XH. The Union is also a registered charity, registered with charity number 1142479

Copyright University of Surrey Student's Union 2018