Back to Home
Please remember to use surrey\ before your username!

FAQ's for Reps

A student has approached me with a problem about our course, how do I proceed?

Depending immediately needs fixing, like a problem with recourses or timetable clashes, speak directly to a module or course leader. If the issue is shared by your wider cohort, gather the opinions of as many student as you can – through surveys or social media, for example – and combine these together to present at your next SSLC.

What do I do if a student approaches me with a personal issue? 

Dealing with the personal issues of your fellow students isn't part of your role as a Course Rep! Though you might be to inclined to want to help, the best support you can give to someone coming to you for advice would to signpost them to someone who is qualified to help them. This might be the Wellbeing centre, students, or staff at the Union. If you're unsure about who can help, get in contact with the Union by emailing

How can I make sure that my fellow students know who their Course Rep is?

Visibility is key as a Course Rep! Gathering student feedback becomes a lot easier when your fellow students know your face and your role. We recommend doing lecture shout-outs, displaying a poster with your name, photo and email, and making use of social media. The Rep Toolkit on the Union's Voice Zone page has a poster template you can adapt and add your photo to, and display in communal areas.

What if I or other students have an issue that needs to be taken higher in the University?

Rep Assemblies are a great chance for Course Reps to pose wider issues to senior University staff, and to let them know which issues matter to students. If you don't want to raise your concerns at Assembly, you can get in contact with your VP Voice. You can email in at, or visit the Sabb office in the Union to have a discussion about how to tackle your issue. 

How do I make sure I'm presenting my feedback efficiently at an SSLC or Board of Studies?

We want the students voice to be taken seriously, and delivering the opinions of your fellow students in a professional and polite way is a good step to making sure this happens. We recommend you follow the ABCD of effective feedback – make sure it is Accurate, Balanced, Constructive and Depersonalised. Be sure to deliver with honesty, but be tactful too. Don't raise criticisms of individual members of staff at public meetings, as this can be uncomfortable and embarrassing for staff. 

What if my cohort does have issues or criticisms with an individual lecturer or staff member? 

It's important that student opinions are still heard even if an SSLC isn't the place to raise them. If you or your fellow students have concerns about an individual member of staff, then make an appointment to talk to either your Module Leader or Programme Leader about the situation. This will ensure that your concerns are heard, but in a more diplomatic way than broadcasting them at an SSLC.

What can I do if I feel like my cohort isn't being listened to?

If you find that you're raising concerns at SSLCs or with staff members and nothing seems to be being done abut it, or you haven't had and further communication about what is being done to address student concerns, you can follow up with members of staff if they have said they will contact you about it. If you are still struggling to get an answer, than you can chat to us in the Union for advice. 

What do I do if I have a question that hasn’t been answered here? 

Check the other resources available to you in the Rep Toolkit found on the Course Rep section of the Union website. Your question might be already be answered there! If it isn't or if you just need further support, get in touch with us. You can either email with general queries, or email Course Rep Co-Ordinator at You can also always pop into the Union to talk to Hannah in person too!

Visit Us

Union House
University of Surrey
Stag Hill, Guildford

Contact Us
01483 689 223

The University of Surrey Students’ Union is a private limited company, registered in England & Wales with registered number 07470232, registered at Union House, Guildford, GU2 7XH. The Union is also a registered charity, registered with charity number 1142479

Copyright University of Surrey Student's Union 2018