Make a Complaint to

the University

What does the Complaints Procedure cover?

• Provision or delivery of programmes and/or modules.

• Provision or delivery of academic, administrative or other services delivered by the University​


What do I need to do first?

Read the University's Complaints procedure. These can be found on the web-site of the Office of Student Complaints, Appeals and Regulations (OSCAR) -


What next?

Establish what stage you are at - the University has a three stage Complaints Procedure:

Stage 1:  Informal complaint to seek early resolution

Contact the relevant member of staff in the department/service to raise your concerns - E.G. module leader or student services.

  • If you are unhappy with the response, you can escalate this to the head of school or manager of the service.

  • If you have already done this or are still not happy with the response, you can go to Stage 2

Stage 2: Formal complaint to the Office of Student Complaints, Appeals and Regulations

You need to complete the Complaint Form and prepare a statement explaining your complaint

  • Gather together supporting evidence e.g. relevant documents, emails etc.

  • Send the form and supporting evidence to OSCAR, who will allocate your complaint to a complaint handler

Stage 3: Complaint Review Panel

Stage 3 is optional and you would only go to this stage if you were not happy with the outcome or handling of the complaint at Stage 2​


I need further advice:​

You can make an appointment with one of our Academic Advice team. Appointments are for a maximum of 30 minutes, Monday - Friday 10-4pm.

Please email with the following information:

Name​, Course, Year of study, Details of your case (including what stage of the complaints process you believe you are at), What you need advice on​

Visit Us

Union House
University of Surrey
Stag Hill, Guildford

Contact Us
01483 689 223

The University of Surrey Students’ Union is a private limited company, registered in England & Wales with registered number 07470232, registered at Union House, Guildford, GU2 7XH. The Union is also a registered charity, registered with charity number 1142479

Copyright University of Surrey Student's Union 2018