What does the Complaints Procedure cover?
Provision or delivery of programmes and/or modules.
Provision or delivery of academic, administrative or other services delivered by the University
What do I need to do first?
Read the University's Complaints procedure. These can be found on the web-site of the Office of Student Complaints, Appeals and Regulations (OSCAR) - https://www.surrey.ac.uk/currentstudents/study/complaints_appeals/
Establish what stage you are at - the University has a three stage Complaints Procedure:
Stage 1 – informal complaint to seek early resolution
- Contact the relevant member of staff in the department/service to raise your concerns - E.G. module leader or student services.
- If you are unhappy with the response, you can escalate this to the head of school or manager of the service.
- If you have already done this or are still not happy with the response, you can go to Stage 2
Stage 2 – formal complaint to the Office of Student Complaints, Appeals and Regulations
- You need to complete the Complaint Form and prepare a statement explaining your complaint
- Gather together supporting evidence e.g. relevant documents, emails etc.
- Send the form and supporting evidence to OSCAR, who will allocate your complaint to a complaint handler
Stage 3 – Complaint Review Panel
- Stage 3 is optional and you would only go to this stage if you were not happy with the outcome or handling of the complaint at Stage 2
I need further advice:
You can make an appointment with one of our Academic Advice team. Appointments are for a maximum of 30 minutes, Monday - Friday 10-4pm.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
Year of study
Details of your case, including what stage of the complaints process you believe you are at
What you need advice on