|Send Family Link is a local charity based at HMP Send and working in partnership with the prison to provide support services for the families and friends of women in custody. A particular focus is on the provision of play for children visiting their mother or other relative at HMP Send. Social visits take place 3 afternoons per week (Thursday, Saturday and Sunday) and special Children's Visits are held regularly throughout the year. The minimum age for volunteering in the prison is 18.|
1. Provide safe, creative and appropriate play activities during prison visits.
2. Help manage play materials and ensure that equipment is kept in good order.
3. Work within the policies of HMP Send, especially with reference to security.
At each visit session you would be working with another playworker. Prepared craft activities are available for volunteers to use if they wish.
One or two afternoons a month (Thursday, Saturday or Sunday), 1.45 –4pm
- Able to provide safe and creative play
- Team worker
- Able to work on own initiative when necessary
1. Safeguarding vulnerable children and adults
2. Security Awareness
3. Induction to Volunteering in Prison
- The prison regime, including security issues
- Issues facing prisoners' families
- Child Protection
- Other ongoing training depending on needs and interests of volunteers
This role will be supervised by the Volunteer Manager. Mentoring is provided by experienced playworkers. Regular meetings are held for volunteers to exchange ideas.
Please be aware that all volunteers may be subject to a search, on occasions, when volunteering in the prison.
Travel expenses of up to 45p per mile for journeys of 10 miles each way will be covered.