·Christmas Shoebox Appeal - Do>More’s Project Leaders are currently organizing gifts and treats to donate to children’s hospice, Shooting Star Chase, and Guildford Action homeless centre for this year’s shoebox appeal. Want to help or know more please email email@example.com.
·Skills Week 2012 - At the beginning of December students from all over campus attended sessions on Media skills, Society Development, Relaxation skills and Employability ideas. Thanks to volunteers from the Media groups, Societies Exec and others.
·Do>More Make a Christmas Card for a Sick Child - Over 50 enthusiastic students joined up with Do>More to design and decorate Christmas cards for children all over the UK who are suffering from long-term illnesses or are undergoing surgery at this time of the year (all information sourced through the PostPals charity). Thanks to everyone for giving their time from a few minutes to a few hours.
·’Chill Out’ at the Therapy Garden - A small group of volunteers recently visited The Therapy Garden (based just outside of Guildford) for a gardening party with teenagers who have special needs. It was cold and damp but the kids were great fun.
·Do>More Crafternoon - A massive well done to Do>More and all the volunteers who attended this arts and crafts afternoon at Park Barn Day Centre. It was a great success with mug decorating and cakes, chit chat about Glenn Miller and some curling. Don’t you wish you’d gone!
· Make a Difference Day with the Rugby Club – This year’s campaign was again spearheaded by the guys and girls of the Rugby Club who worked in nearby Merrow, cutting down trees and clearing woodland with Guildford Borough Council.
· Academic Rep Training – Academic Rep Assembly was followed by the first ever Academic Rep Training event including sessions run by the Students’ Union and University of Surrey on Effecting Change, Engaging Your Cohort and Employability.
· Do>More ‘Hearts for Hospice’ - The first microvolunteering event of the new year, with well-wishes messages sent to childrens’ hospice, Helen and Douglas House. Great stuff!
· Volunteering Fayre - Over 100 students met and signed up to a wide variety of different charities for voluntary and placement roles destined to help them develop and experience life beyond the ‘student bubble’. Thank you Do>More. And thanks for the free pizza too!
· Active Freshers’ Fayre 2012 – Surrey Sports Park hosted this day of activities and sporting taster sessions for new students, all led by current Sports Club Committees. Lots of sign-ups and active students. Great job guys!
· Freshers’ Fayre 2012 - Attended by thousands of new students, all signing up to numerous societies and sports clubs. The next generation of volunteers and committee members have arrived!
· Moving in Weekend 2012 - Almost 250 current students gave up their time to volunteer as Freshers' Angels, helping to move in new students, answer questions and provide useful advice to the 2,300 new Freshers' arriving at the University of Surrey. It was a fantastic weekend, despite some slight drizzle, and the Students' Union looks forward to similar successes in the future.
· Investing in Volunteers (IiV) - The Students' Union has just received the IiV Quality Standard for good practice in volunteer management and after an extensive audit in May. This means that we recognise and support our volunteers to a very high standard and we are understandably very happy. For more information on the whole process head to http://iiv.investinginvolunteers.org.uk.
· Sport Relief 2012 - Sunday 25th March saw campus invaded by over 1300 runners and loyal supporters for the Guildford Sainsbury's Sport Relief Mile 2012. It was an amazing day and congratulations go to the students of the Sport Relief Organising Committee. We have recently been informed that we raised a whopping £34,290.03 so thank you to all of you who took part, running or volunteering your time.
· 'Paint a pot' at Sunrise Senior Living - Thanks to Beth and her team for organising a great afternoon of painting and planting at this local residential home.
· Do>More 'Well-wishes' - Congratulations to our lovely Do>More committee for organising another successful event, sending well-wishes to sick children.
· iFestival 2012 - A fortnight of celebrating diversity and culture on campus through events, activities and the amazing iGala. Thanks go to all our societies, sports clubs, volunteers and to Stage Crew for all their hard work.
· Leap Year - Volunteer - Working with Surrey Wildlife Trust, our volunteers recently planted over 150 trees to make a wildlife corridor in the community. Thanks to those who gave up their extra (366th) day to get involved.
· Student Volunteering Week - Do>More recently took over campus for a whole week of volunteering events and publicity. Encouraging hundreds of students to get stuck in making origami cranes, to attend CyberMentor training sessions and to make well wishes cards for sick children takes a lot of hard work. Well done Do>More!
· RAG Week - Congratulations to Surrey RAG for another week of great events and lots of money raised. With club nights, raids and much more, RAG's hard work is much appreciated.
· Volunteer Speed Match - Thanks to Do>More for running another successful volunteering fayre, attended by lots of students and local charities. The free pizza was a big plus too!