Weekly DebatesJoin us for our weekly debates, happening every Thursday. We begin by quickly discussing a specific aspect of debate, split into teams and prepare to debate a motion. After our debate, we have a quick feedback session and often head down to Wates for a pint.
In addition to good fun, we practice our weekly debates to improve our argumentation and refutation skills. Practice makes perfect, and we take every opportunity to become comfortable speaking. We debate a variety of topics and have teams on both sides of the argument. Here are a few examples of motions we've debated in the past:
- This house would ban the capital punishment.
- This house believes that university education should be free.
- This house would ban Page 3.
- This house would legalise marijuana.
- This house would take military action in North Korea.
We also debate motions with less topical, or knowlege based focus, often called open motions. These are excellent ways of helping develop understanding debating strategy and technique, and not just who knows more about a given topic. Previous examples of these motions have included:
- This house would open the door.
- This house proposes a new beginning.
- This house regrets not acting sooner.
Join our mailing list and/or our Facebook Group
for details of our weekly debates, and updates on competition progress, and society events. To join the mailing list, or ask a question, feel free to email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org